Friday, July 8, 2011

The Magic of Harry Potter Will Never Be Over

It’s hard to say goodbye to things we love. In less than a week, on July 15th, the final Harry Potter movie is set to be released. I know that myself, along with all the other hardcore Harry Potter fans are eagerly awaiting the final film installment. It’s exciting, and yet I feel a twinge of sadness about it as well. The final movie being released will be bittersweet for me. I know the story; I know how it ends, and I’ll be there with my box of tissues to wipe away my tears as I say goodbye to my favorite characters. But this last movie is, in a way, a cathartic way of saying goodbye to story that I love so very much, and that I feel is a part of me since I have grown up with it.



JK Rowling taught me to love reading and appreciate good storytelling. She showed us all, both children and adults, that magic exists. 14 years, 8 movies, 7 books. Friday (or Thursday night, for many of us) may be the last Harry Potter movie, but the magic of Harry Potter will never be over…


Staying up late into the wee hours of the morning, finishing the newest edition that had been released at midnight. Standing in in the middle of the night line with friends waiting for the books to go on sale, or waiting for the midnight showing of the movies. I’ll miss that most about Harry Potter. The shared experience of it all. I don’t think it will quite be the same after Thursday. I can relive the magic of the series by reading my cherished hardback copies, but as a collective, I think we’re getting towards the end. The fact of the matter is, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 is last major piece of Potter media that will be released. And that, while I feel is necessary, does break my heart.

Many of you will say, oh it’s just a (good) story, it’s just a book. That’s okay. I don’t expect everyone to get it. This blog post isn’t meant for you.

For me, I grew up in the world of Harry Potter. And if you’re still reading this post, I have a feeling you did too (or feel like you did ). How many of us who read these stories felt like we were having tea in Hagrid’s hut with Harry, Ron and Hermione? Or laughed with the Weasley family? Or wished that Hogwarts was real and that our acceptance letters would one day be coming by owl? These beautiful stories allowed us to escape into this magical world, while we ourselves were growing up along side Harry Potter. We got to watch The Boy Who Lived grow up and face darkness, and overcome it because of the strength he drew from the love of his family and friends.

We grew up as “the Potter generation.” Learning the morals that JK Rowling so beautifully taught us. That children can be courageous. Life isn’t black and white; we all have darkness in us that we have the power to overcome if we choose to. And that love, loyalty, and friendship, all powerful forms of “magic,” are the paramount forces that are key to our human existence. Love brings life. These lessons don’t go away the moment you turn off your DVD or close the cover of your books.

Good stories stay with you forever. They’re passed on from generation to generation. Harry Potter, his friends, and the lessons they taught us are something we will carry close to our hearts for the rest of our lives. I look forward to sharing these stories with my own children someday, so they can live in the world of Harry Potter and carry on the story just as the Potter generation assuredly will. The magic of Harry Potter will never be over.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Harry Potter is one of the series that really got my (now 12 year old) son into reading. We can hardly wait to see Part 2 tomorrow.(To my son's chagrin, we're seeing it Saturday, not midnight Friday!)

Much like seeing Peter Jackson's Return of the King was for my husband and I, this final installment of the HP movie series will be bittersweet for JK's readers. We know what's coming, but still want that closure. Definitely will be bringing tissues!

Thanks for your well-written tribute; I very much agree - the magic will never be over.

Kat said...

I agree! We're going to the cinema tomorrow, really looking forwards to it - and dreading it a little bit as well, bacause then it will be over. Oh well, the books are still there :)

ps: In case anyone is looking for a good read (for kids ~10 to those well into adulthood, I love these books and I'm 27!) try the Tiffany Aching books by Terry Pratchett. There's four of them: The wee free men, A hat full of sky, Wintersmith, and I shall wear midnight. Highly recommened (as is everything by pTerry, in my book!)