Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 420


I think I may have finally gotten my pumpkin "pupcake" recipe right! I've been trying different variations over the last few weeks. Our dogs have loved it so much, I wanted to share it!

Originally I made this cake for Boone's birthday, but he and our other dogs loved it so much, we've been making it about once a week for them. Pumpkin is actually very very good for dogs and most of them will love the taste, it will act as a great dietary supplement if they're lacking fiber.


What you'll need:
2 Cups White Rice Flour (do NOT use brown rice flour, it is too tough on a dog's tummy)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 can (15oz) of organic pumpkin (not the crud you use for pie with spices in it around Thanksgiving, just normal, 100% pumpkin in a can. You can get this at Whole Foods year round.)
3/4 cup to 1 cup water
2 eggs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon molasses



1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Mix all your dry ingredients together (rice flour, baking powder, and baking soda)
3. Beat both eggs into your dry ingredients with a spatula.
4. Add oil, water and molasses.
5. Mix. Depending on the consistency of your batter, you may want to add 1/4 cup more water. I always start out with 3/4 cup and add more if necessary, depending on how juicy my can of pumpkin was.


6. Once you've incorporated all your ingredients, the batter should look exactly like a normal cake batter. Spread into a greased pan (13x9 or 8x8, depending on how thick you want your treats to be)


=)

7. Cook in your 375 degree oven for 25-35 minutes, or until a tooth pick comes out clean.


7. Ta da! You're done! The outside will appear VERY dry no matter what you do, but the inside will be dense and moist. If you're really wanting to spoil your pup, put some cottage cheese "frosting" on the top of an individual slice before serving.

Special Notes- If your local organic market is out of canned pumpkin, you can also use organic butternut squash, or mash up approximately 5 bananas and use that instead! Also you don't have to add molasses if you don't want to. You can use honey instead, or leave the "Sweetener" out entirely. I choose not to fool with honey at all, given that you cannot serve it to puppies or babies since (even when cooked) it can be prone to growing harmful bacteria that young ones are susceptible to. But it's your choice.

I hope you all enjoy this recipe! I'm still tweaking it and experimenting myself, so if you find something that works better, let me know! =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your picture on day 420 is the same pumpkin slice on day 402. hahahaha

Rachel said...

Shhhhh, I forgot to take a pretty one of the finished product. I took some artistic liberties, ok?