Saturday, January 1, 2011

2010: Reflections

Dear 2010, I hope the door hits you in the ASS on the way out. Goodbye and good riddance!

Time for Reflection

I stole this from my friend Lisa's blog and I liked it as a writing exercise. I wanted to write a separate post today, one for writing, and one for photography. You'll be getting a photography update later tonight. I'm taking one photo every hour! =)

Feel free to leave a comment here answering any or all of the following questions:

1. On a scale of 1-10 how was 2010? Why?

A wibbly wobbly 3. Which is pretty bad. The worst year of my life, by far. I don't want to sound dramatic, or ungrateful, because a lot of amazing things happened in 2010, like getting a new job I love with amazing new coworkers. I also got a new aunt and three new cousins (Grandma apparently gave a baby up for adoption and said baby found our extended family), and I adopted Boone, who shows me unconditional love, makes me laugh every day because he's a big goofball of a dog, and is so damn happy to be alive. He encourages me to be a happier, lighter person.

These were all great, positive things. But they don't outweight the bad ones. Because they were really pretty bad in the scheme of my life so far. My Aunt Kathie told me I'm finally learning to "not sweat the small stuff." I love you Auntie, but I don't consider the things that happened to me to be small things. Broken heart. Broken car. Laid off from a job I loved without explanation. Depression. Unexpected financial difficulties. It's not worth dwelling about, but these events shall be mentioned, because they shaped me into this person I am now and they were very big things to me.

"Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things, don't always soften the bad things, but vise versa, bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant."- Doctor Who; Series 5 Episode 7

2. What was the biggest accomplishment?

I think sticking with this photo blog EVERY DAY has been a huge accomplishment. I know I'll see this project through to its completion. I may not upload a photo every day exactly, but I do take a photo every day, which I think takes a lot of discipline and sometimes, a hell of a lot of creativity. Do you know how hard it is to find something interesting to photograph when you don't leave the house all day? Or are in an office for most of the day when it's daylight? It's a challenge, but I love it.

3. What was the biggest lesson learned?

Everbody lies. Don't be gullible.

4. What is the biggest goal for 2011?

Last year around this time, I set a lot of goals for myself. I had a lot of expectations. And one by one, they all were crushed. So this year I'm going to just be. I have no expectations or goals, and I don't view that as a bad thing. I'm going to take this year one step at a time and just see what unfolds. I'm always planning, always busy, always on the go. I probably will continue to be busy, but I'm not going to blueprint out this year like I have in the past. I think it's okay to be unsure of where you're going. It's about the journey, not the destination.

5. What new habits do you want to form in 2011?

To be more positive.



No comments: