Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Day 198

So, my Motorola Devour committed suicide today.

I've hated that phone since probably 3 days after I got it, back in April (when it was brand new). Reviews of the phone rate it at 2/5 stars and there are hundreds of reports of this phone having many problems, and being a buggy piece of crap. All of the textbook things were wrong with this phone... it would freeze, it would restart on its own, it would call people when the screen was locked, the buttons wouldn't work half the time, the battery drained to 5% after only a few hours with no apps running and no talk time used, and a whole list of other things.

So, I kinda just decided to suck it up and endure the bad phone for the next 2 years because I really couldn't afford a new one, and I figured that since it was a new phone, if I updated it regularly, eventually the problems would fix itself. They never did. I endured the bad phone for months, knowing that when it eventually died, or I accidental dropped it in the toilet or something, I knew my insurance would either get me a replacement of the same phone (you can see why that option wouldn't work for me, given how buggy the reports are), or they would get me a new phone if that phone had been discontinued.

Long story short, Verizon essentially told me to stick it where the sun don't shine, and screwed me out of a working phone. The only options they gave me were to either pay full price for a new phone ($500), buy a refurbished used phone, or get the same phone again because they had a stockpile in the back-room for when this particular phone goes belly up, even though this phone is not manufactured anymore (hrrrrm, think there's a reason for that?). That was NOT what I was told when I purchased the insurance ($7 extra on my plan every month) and is not what my contract states. I read it. I kept it. Yes, I'm the only person on the planet that does that.

Anyway, to sum up, they just made me very, very angry and I ended up paying the cancellation fee to get out of my contract, and drove immediately over to AT&T where I was welcomed with open arms.

I'm not going to go into details of the conversation and how things went down, because I'm tired of writing angry things on this blog, and I fully intend on writing a strongly worded letter to Verizon Wireless corporate to try and get out of my last month's bill and my cancellation fee. Will it work? Probably not, my expectations are low, but I do plan on trying.

I will say though, that I was very polite considering what I was being subjected to, refrained from swearing, did not raise my voice, and basically had tears in my eyes while I was asking for another, better option, one my contract entitled me to.

Some good did come out of canceling. I finally got an iPhone, which I know is a trusted phone, and I'm saving $30 a month for my new plan, while I'm getting more features on it, so, there's that.

At least I have that.

No comments: