Monday, September 6, 2010

Day 127

Today, this is my weight.
Please pardon the fog, this was after a shower.

I’ve said this before in my “about this blog section” that this is not a weight loss blog. This is a photo blog that centers around my life; the adventures I go on, who I spend my time with, and what I may be struggling with.
That being said, weight loss and fitness is a huge part of my life, and one I haven’t really talked about much in this blog. So let me give you some background.

In April of 2009, I weighed 260 pounds. I’m 5’6, which meant I was morbidly obese. That was my highest weight ever. I had determined earlier in that year that I was going to try and lose weight (I even wrote about it in my livejournal), then I started having plantar fasciitis (soles of your feet hurt like a bitch) and that stopped my weight loss goal for a few months. My feet hurt so much though, and the number on the scale was scaring me more than it ever had. I knew how unhealthy I was and that I was basically killing myself by not eating the right foods and refusing to exercise. Somehow, I just decided to work through the pain in my feet and start walking, wearing better shoes (even at work, I wore rediculously thick walking shoes) and I added a few servings of fruit to my diet, and lost about 15 pounds, putting my weight around 245-243.

Then in May, I was promoted and was getting substantially more money, and I finally found justification to not only sign up for the gym, but get a personal trainer as well. The first two months with Brandon, my trainer, I lost maybe one or two pounds a month, because I was still eating a lot of crap. In August 2009, I signed up for weight watchers, and then gradually over the next 9 months (bringing us up to March/April 2010) I lost 50 more pounds by following weight watchers and lifting weights twice a week with my trainer, and doing cardio 5-6 times a week on my own.

At the beginning of April, before I lost my job and went to Vegas, my lowest weight, and the weight I've been plateuing at ever since, was 195, so that's the number I've been basing my totals off of. I did hit as low as 189 back in early July, but I believe a very specific type of emotional stress, triggered by some emotional trauma, is what drove that. So again, 195 is what I consider my honest to goodness lowest weight to date.

As you can see, I've had a bit of a setback. Once the emotional stress subsided, I crept back up to 195.Then I got in my car accident, and a week after that, the whirlwind of being hired at a new job started, and I started emotionally eating again. The consequece of that was a 9 pound gain.

So today, I’m adjusting my attitude and getting back on track.

Short term goal #1- 189
Short term goal #2- 175
Long term goal - 150

Total Weight Lost since April 2009: 56
Total Weight Loss until final goal: 54

I’m giving myself until March 1, 2011 to hit my long term goal, which I think is pretty reasonable so long as I keep doing what weight watchers says, and I continue to go to the gym and lift weights, and gradually increase my cardio intensity.

I appologize for the length of this entry and if you read it all, then thank you =) I probably won't talk much about this in such detail in the future until I actually meet my long term goal, but today I felt it was important since it provides a form of accountability aside from my own dedication.

3 comments:

Lisa Eirene said...

Thanks for the background. I didn't know any of your history. I'm sorry you've been having emotional upheaval lately!! That's REALLY hard. It's easy to slip up...

LarryLilly said...

Stay on and dont stress out about the setbacks. They will come. The body wants to feel a certain way, so when you are losing some weight and get past that "weight" your body says it should be, it wants you to pig out. Dont get all goosey about it, give in to a DAY. Make it an apointment, set a date, girls night out, pancakes and bacon for breakfast, pizza for lunch, steak for dinner, peach cobbler and ice cream for dessert. Then next day, back to it. Just keep moving, it will be OK!

Do get tested for diabetes, that is important. You dont want to mess with that pill. I have had it for over 25 years and it took some extraordinary measures to get it under control. But it isd possible. Youll do fine.

Kat said...

Keep up the good work, it sounds to me like you are doing really well :) Good on you for taking charge of your health - it is much too easy to just let it slide! *thumbs up for you*