Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day 114

Do you think insects can talk to each other? Is that a weird question? Hahah. Maybe just inter-species bugs, like, wasps and bees can communicate, but a bee and a potato bug trying to talk, going out to the pub after work? Forget about it. Maybe I watched too many Disney movies as a child...
The reason I ask this very silly question is based on the above photo.The ladybug was encroaching upon an earwig who was chilling out on the same plant, and the ladybug quickly darted the other way, like she knew not to mess with the earwig. It was strange and funny to observe.
I keep lucking out with these bee photos.
I'm getting more bold with myself and what I'm willing to do for a shot, even if it's just in my backyard. "I'm not afraid of bees! See! I can stick my lense right up in these flowers and... ACK! STAY AWAY FROM ME EVIL BEE!!" I had to abandon my spot several times, since the bees thought I smelled pretty and kept coming over to say hi. As soon as I felt comfortable with what I was doing, a new bee would come over to check me out, and I'd squeal and quickly run away. Although I think the bee in the above photo is actually a wasp.

This was my favorite of the day.

All of these were taken with my Nikon D80 and my stock lense, Nikkor 18-135mm.

6 comments:

StephanieTJLee said...

Dang you are a brave one to photograph these bees/wasps! These are wonderful photos. Nicely captured :)!!!!

Kat said...

Love the colours in these shots! You're right, the third picture isn't a (honey) bee, but rather a wasp of some sort (I'm not familiar with the US species). Ladybugs are always fun to shoot :)

LarryLilly said...

My sons got me a nice Canon D50 with a fast 17-55 2.8 lens for my past birthday. I got it last night and after getting the battery charged shot some pics. Then realized that I didnt format the card, so there went the first slew. But hey, its digital, and even though I cant figure out where to put the film, its all good!

LOL

Rachel said...

What a lucky guy! Your kids must love ya a lot, Larry, to get you such a nice camera :) And that's the great thing about digital... if the first batch didn't turn out, adjust the settings, and take some more :)

Gabriel said...

Muito bonitas as fotos, Parabéns pelo Blog....
Beautiful pictures congratulations for the Blog

Fumatul said...

The second shot is great, congratulations, nice photos, and a very nice character, it seem you know what you want from life.