Saturday, August 21, 2010

Day 111

Still waiting for an estimate on the damage to my car. They don't even know if it's totalled or not. From what I remember, it didn't look completely totalled, but what do I know? It had to be towed, which is pretty bad. And it looked pretty terrible. I had difficulty getting out of the door, I had to push with a lot of force and it made a really nasty sound. But then I also remember the lights to the Mini popping out like a spring in a jack in the box, which probably wasn't the case, so I won't know for sure until I go in there and take some pictures of the damage before they start work.

Memories aren't perfect. Really, whenever we remember anything, we remember it through our own narrative memory and not a play by play recording of what actually occured. Even still, I can remember vividly what happened on Thursday, and probably always will. Memories like that are called flashbulb memories. However, sometimes there is a big difference between what actually happened, and what our minds remember. Our brains don't store ACCURATE memories, it stores memories based on our own point of view. So essentially, the memory can be real, but the events may be slightly, or vastly different compared to the truth of what happened.

Sorry, I'm getting off on a tangent now. These blogs just seem to keep getting longer. You're not here to read my ramblings, you're here for pictures.

Filled out my accident report, and intended to turn it in yesterday, but it was a furlough day for the DMV, so they were all closed. Luckily, the express DMV was open today.
The lovely police officer who just happened to be in the lane next to me when I crashed, filled out this insurance information report for us since I was so shaken up, and the guy I hit seemed to not really want to talk to me or be near me. Probably better that way for insurance purposes.

The lovely line coming out of the DMV. I didn't mind waiting, really, it's not like I had anything else to do today, but I was pretty bored. I was there for about 2 hours. However once I got up to the counter, it took less than a minute for them to take my paperwork, stamp it, and send me on my way. And the guy at the counter said he was sorry to hear about what happened. It actually did make me feel better to know this stranger said he cared, even if it was just a polite, passing comment from a government worker.

Kari and Steph and I went out to dinner tonight since I'm just, really bummed. Then they took me to a real, honest to goodness dive bar. The bartender was really nice and put up with me asking silly questions about "what's yummy and will get me tipsy, but doesn't taste like alcohol?" It was silly. The best part was driving back down TV Highway (I wasn't driving, Kari, the sober one was), screaming/singing along to "I'm on a Boat." I've got a nautical themed pashmina afghan...

And now, I shall leave you with this image of Farmville ice cream. What will they think of next? World of Warcraft...energy...bars? Well I could see that happening, actually. Who the hell thinks of this stuff. And worse, who buys it?

No comments: